In This Episode:
Today we’re chatting with Direct Response Copywriter, James Barger.
From Mechanical Engineer, to Drone Pilot, to big Launch Copywriter – James has one of the most diverse backgrounds of anyone we’ve met.
Now he consults with A-list copywriters and also promotes his own successful ventures using direct response copy.
We like to call him “The Ghost in the Machine” because he’s always behind the scenes as an integral part of big projects, but doesn’t often share about his processes or business.
We’re lucky to have him today as he shares how his diverse interests have helped him manage huge writing projects, and rise to the top of the industry faster than most.
Join in as as we dive deep into his strategic approach for promoting new offers, his go-to-system for generating consistent, quality leads, and how to build momentum in your writing career by using ‘common sense’ techniques that most writers ignore.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links at the bottom of this page.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify Here
- How James went from mechanical engineer, to drone pilot, to successful freelance copywriter
- What it’s like working with high-level entrepreneurs and copywriters on big launches
- How James built momentum in his career as a writer and quickly rose to the top
- Why James’ believes “the devil is in the details” when writing at a high level
- How James gets a constant flow of new, qualified leads
- Why launches are the most misunderstood piece of copy (and why they’re NOT where the real work gets done)
- How to stand out when approaching new prospects or opportunities
- A step-by-step walkthrough of James’ process for promoting new offers and products
- How to identify quick wins so you can get results for your clients quickly
- Why you shouldn’t focus all your energy on improving your writing skills if you want to get to the top
- How to set boundaries with clients that make the experience better for both of you
- The must-have rules of engagement that help you filter out leads which aren’t a good fit for you
- Why generating a ton of leads/work is NOT the ultimate answer to a successful writing career
- How to play chess when everyone else is playing checkers (playing a bigger, better game)
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- James’ Website at Jamesfbarger.com
- Follow along as James launches his new product at ModelGreenHome.com
- Ian Stanley’s 80/20 Email Copy Course
- Ian Stanley’s Email Templates
- Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz
- Rachel’s guides that James uses for his copy
- Laura Belgray’s awesome emails
- Ben Settle
- Paul Jarvis’ Company of One
- The Hemingway App
- The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
- Poor Charlie’s Almanack
- Sol Price Biography
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group