In This Episode:
When you’re buried in marketing all day every day, it’s easy to get jaded (or even just bored) of content and copy. That’s why we’re so selective about who we let into the inner sanctum of our concentration and influence – including our email inbox.
One of the very few writers we look forward to seeing in our inbox every day is Laura Belgray.
She has an incredible talent for taking the day-to-day stuff that happens in our lives, and turning it into freaking hilarious emails that are fun to read.
And while we have a super copy crush on Laura’s work, we’re also in love with her business model. In fact, we often use “Laura Belgray” as a verb when talking about the next level of our business. (i.e. – “I’m going to Laura Belgray that baby”)
Laura’s also written for some of the hottest magazines and television shows at huge networks like Nickelodeon, VH1, and Lifetime. In fact, some of the biggest stars in the world have brought her scripts to life on the screen.
Needless to say, we are so excited to chat with her today, and lucky to have her on the show. Let’s dive in.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links at the bottom of this page.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify
- Why we’re drooling over Laura’s business model
- How she keeps her calendar as clear as possible
- Why she only writes “live” with clients on calls
- How to charge clients what you really want to (and how to get clients that actually pay for it)
- Why Laura goes against the grain and charges by the hour
- How to know if your work is good enough to raise your rates
- The reason she NEVER calls herself a “freelancer”
- How to position yourself as a writer to get more respect and better clients
- Why you shouldn’t worry about choosing a niche or specialty
- Her biggest pet peeve about “providing value” in your work
- How to stop undercharging for work that’s easy to do
- Why email is actually the fairest playing field to work with
And so much more! Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Laura Belgray’s website: TalkingShrimp.com
Get on her list, get her 5 Secrets To Non-Sucky Copy, her guide to awesome headlines, and more!
- David Sedaris – Me Talk Pretty One Day
- Tina Fey Bossypants (book)
- Bossypants (audio)
- The Copy Cure
- The Corrections
- Laura Belgray’s Full Book List
- Fleishman Is In Trouble
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group