In This Episode:
Gemma Milne is a Scottish creative science nerd obsessed with deep tech and good writing.
She writes about science, tech and the broad cultural issues surrounding anything that comes out of science labs and into the real world.
Gemma is also a science startup advisor – scouting them for funds, and helping them tell their stories. And she’s Co-Founder of Science: Disrupt, a media org connecting and showcasing those innovators, iconoclasts and entrepreneurs creating change in science.
She’s an engaging public speaker, a published author, and self-made journalist. Today she shares how she landed a book deal with one of the biggest publishing houses in the world, how she became an in-demand public speaker and journalist without any formal training, and how you can credentialize yourself in any skill you’re pursuing.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links below.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify
- How Gemma shifted into writing from the (very different) world of science and tech
- The reality of landing a book deal with a major publishing house
- How Gemma professionalizes her skills and became widely known as an expert without any formal training
- Her terrible book idea that got her laughed out of her agent’s office
- How to choose your battles when your editor starts cutting your work
- Why you should always push back if a client asks you to write about something you don’t believe in
- How she monetizes her books and leverages them in the rest of her business
- The fastest way to add public speaking to your repertoire (even if you have zero experience)
- Her advice for changing your positioning or branding when you want to pursue something new
- Why freelancing isn’t for everyone (and why that’s not a bad thing)
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Gemma’s Instagram Page
- Gemma’s Speaking Page on her Website
- Smoke and Mirrors by Gemma Milne
- Little Brown Publishing
- Jamie Bartlet
- How To Academy
- Intelligence Squared
- Women in Tech
- Lincoln in The Bardo by George Saunders
- The Professional Freelancer Newsletter
- Thinking Inside the Box by Adrienne Raphel
- Play it Again by Alan Rusbridger
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group