In This Episode:
Brendan Fredericks has worked in the book publishing industry for nearly twenty years. As a bookseller and events manager with Angus & Robertson he worked with authors from Steve Waugh, Warrick Capper to Jane Fonda.
As in-house book publicist and publicity manager with the prestigious publishers Hachette and Bloomsbury, he promoted and toured luminaries such as Elizabeth Gilbert, Germaine Greer, Robyn Davidson, Richard Ford, A.C. Grayling, and Jeff Lindsay.
Now Brendan focuses on his own agency, BFredericksPR, to champion books and ideas to media, festival directors, booksellers, and readers.
His agency represents authors and entertainers and provides standout promotion campaigns, and management for publishers and authors across Australia and internationally.
Join us today as he reveals the secrets of the professional publishing world, the ins and outs of book publicity, and what it takes to be the man behind the curtain.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links below.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify
- How Brendan first broke into the competitive publishing world
- The difference between an agent and a publisher
- His key tips for pitching your book idea to a publisher
- The ins and outs of how publishing contracts work (with numbers!)
- What it’s like working with some of the world’s greatest authors like Elizabeth Gilbert and Germaine Greer
- How he transitioned from in-house publicist to owning his own agency
- Why authors need to be very careful about who they choose as their publicist
- The WORST thing you could do when pitching your book to a publisher
- The fun stories behind Brendan’s craziest book campaigns
- What to do when your pitch gets rejected
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Brendan’s Instagram
- Hachette Publishing
- Little Brown Publishing
- Orion Publishing
- Mammoth by Chris Flynn
- White Beech by Germaine Greer
- Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Christos Tsiolkas
- Dexter by Jeff Lyndsay
- Jim Thompson
- Charles Bukowski
- William Burroughs
- Andrew McGahan
- Money for Something by Mia Walsch
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group