In This Episode:
SHAME! According to novelist Sophie Littlefield, it’s at the root of most of your money problems.
Sophie is an award-winning author who the New York Times calls a “writing machine” and The Midwest Book Review says is a “master storyteller”. She’s written over 20 published novels and also speaks at writing events about financial management and protecting yourself financially.
Today we talk about grit, stubbornness, and dealing with rejection on the road to writing success.
Join us for this very transparent conversation about fixing your financial issues and getting your head straight.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links below.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify
- How Sophie published 9 successful novels before getting her first agent
- Why being an introvert can be a great strength as a writer
- How Sophie writes across so many genres successfully
- What Sophie did after getting rejected by every agent she submitted to
- Her “lucky mailbox” trick that helped her land her first agent
- The #1 thing that keeps writers from fixing their financial issues
- Why people feel the need to present themselves as more successful than they really are (and why it’s actually hurting you to do so)
- The biggest mistakes writers make with their money
- How to pay yourself a consistent salary from your business
- Why Sophie believes that writing is NOT a consistent income source
- How to plan ahead for inconsistent workflow
- Sophie’s advice for making sure you NEVER get caught by a surprise tax bill
- Why having a “side hustle” isn’t optional
- How Sophie was able to save 2 years worth of income as a buffer
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Sophie’s Agent Barbara Poelle
- Sophie’s Website
- Sophie’s Books
- Sophie’s Aftertime Series (They’re Cannibals, Not Zombies)
- Brene Brown on Guilt vs. Shame
- The Profit First System
- Sophie’s Friend and fellow author, Rachael Herron
- Author Dan Chaon
- Author Kristen Hyggens
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- Dance Away With Me by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group