In This Episode:
Jacqueline Burns was commissioning editor at Random House and Editorial Director at HarperCollins. There she edited classics such as Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus, Who Moved My Cheese, Chicken Soup for the Soul, and Toddler Taming – all of which have sold millions of copies.
She is the author of Write a Bestseller, and a bestselling series of successful books for Random House. Jacq has also ghostwritten a number of well-known titles, co-founded The London Writers Club, and is a literary agent for authors.
Today we get her to spill the beans on the “behind the scenes” details of publishing books that sell millions of copies, how authors can work with large publishers, and what makes a blockbuster bestseller.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links below.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify
- What it’s like working on the most well-known books of modern times
- What Jacq looks for in books that she chooses to publish
- How authors can write a book that will stand the test of time
- The common elements of books that are likely to become blockbusters
- How to avoid the biggest mistakes new authors make when writing their first book
- The #1 piece of advice Jacq gives authors who want to make it big
- The specifics of what you should look for in a writing coach (and it’s not a long list of accreditations)
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Learn how to get published at londonwritersclub.com
- Get more form Jacq at jacqburns.com
- How To Write A Best Seller by Jacq Burns
- Elizabeth Gilbert
- 4 Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss
- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
- How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play by Barbara Baig
- Author Italo Calvino
- The Mermaid of Black Conch Audiobook by Monique Roffey
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group