In This Episode:
While this is one of our first episodes, we can already tell this is going to be one of the most popular guests on our show.
Derek Murphy is a writer, artist, and entrepreneur who is taking the self-publishing industry by storm. He’s studied philosophy, fine art, and comparative literature at a high level in universities across the globe.
These unique experiences have shaped both his writing, and his approach to navigating the publishing industry.
Now Derek owns over a dozen companies which help indie writers publish and promote their writing – yet somehow finds time to put out 1-2 successful novels per year himself.
In addition, he co-writes books with other authors, coaches indie writers through their first books, and hosts writing retreats in castles across ancient Europe (yes… real castles).
If you’re into the craft of writing books and the strategy behind making them successful – this is one episode you don’t want to miss.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links at the bottom of this page.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify Here
There were so many great moments in this episode, it’s hard to know where to start! Some of the biggest takeaways include:
- How and where to learn the craft of writing
- Derek’s clever trick for writing books on your iPhone
- How Derek writes, launches, and publishes 1-2 novels per year
- Derek’s thoughts on the battle between ‘writing for money’ and ‘writing for art’
- How fiction writers organize, plan and create big series
- The controversy about self-publishing vs “real writing”
- The difference between writing with a pre-planned outline vs. “writing by the seat of your pants”
- The strategy behind a successful book launch
- How to get your book to stick to the top of the best-seller charts after your launch
- Where the REAL money is in self-publishing
- How new writers can get past the high price point when publishing their first books
- How to co-write with other authors to produce new and exciting content
- And our personal favorite – how to rent a castle in Europe and use it for your own personal writing hideaway
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Derek’s Website
- Derek’s book – Guerrilla Publishing: a sleaze-free guide to writing and book marketing
- Derek’s Youtube Channel (with TONS of free training on writing and publishing)
- Book – Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group