In This Episode:
Kim Krause Schwalm spent more than 13 years in the corporate marketing world, working for one of the biggest American publishers. So it’s no surprise that she burst into the direct response world with a bang when she transitioned to freelance copywriter.
Now, over two decades later, Kim has built a reputation as one of the top A-list direct response copywriters in the country. Her copy still holds the top spot for dozens of big direct mail and online campaigns, beating legendary copywriters such as Parris Lampropoulos and the late Jim Rutz. Her extensive copy portfolio boasts impressive names and numbers, and she’s even the first female copywriter to get a control (the best performing copy) at leading financial publisher, Boardroom.
Kim credits her creative and analytical mind for giving her an edge in today’s increasingly competitive copywriting world—and wants to help others gain the same “marketing-savvy” advantage. Join us as we deep-dive into how she became one of the most in-demand copywriters today, and her advice for how you can too.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links below:
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify
- How Kim taught herself copy and went from ‘good’ to ‘great’ without apprenticing under another writer
- The #1 thing she requires from clients before starting a new project
- What she tells her junior copywriters to help them grow their careers
- The big mistake that taught her she needed a contract
- What to do when you get screwed by a bad project
- How to make your writing stand out and command attention among all the noise today
- What she learned making the leap from in-house marketer to freelance copywriter
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Kim’s training programs, Copy Insiders, and copy controls
- Why Didn’t Anyone Tell Me This Shit Before
- Scientific Advertising
- DMA – Direct Marketing Association
- Ben Settle
Join Copy Chief to get members-only discounts for Copy Chief live
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
- Can’t Hurt Me
- Titans Masterclass
- The Not-So-Secret Order of the Titanides
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group