In This Episode:
Today’s guest hardly needs an introduction. Marcella Allison is not only one of the best copywriters in the world, but an amazing mentor, leader and speaker with over 25 years of experience working with entrepreneurs to help them grow their businesses.
She was the business manager for Carl Solway Gallery, where she helped transform the small Cincinnati gallery into an international art phenomena. As a venture capitalist, she worked with entrepreneurs and founders to help launch dozens of early-stage medical start-ups. As an entrepreneur herself, she built a successful direct response copywriting agency that works with some of the largest financial publishers, alternative health publishers, and supplement manufacturers in the country.
Today, she is a top direct response copywriter, an in-demand copy chief, sought-after mentor, and founder of the (Not So) Secret Order of the Titanides, a supportive community for women entrepreneurs.
Marcella was also awarded the 2018 Copywriter of the Year, by American Writers and Artists Inc. for her outstanding performance record and impact on the copywriting industry. We are delighted to have her on the show today, so let’s dive in and hear what she has to say.
Have you gotten the official BOW guidebook to marketing yourself as writer? It’s called Write, Reap, Repeat – and it’s free! Learn how to work with clients that pay you more, stress you less, and get you working on projects that flip your switch. Get it on our homepage here.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links at the bottom of this page.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify
- Marcella’s biggest lessons about how to work with artists and creatives
- Why clients should “never live on the writer’s money”
- How she translates technical knowledge from clients and gurus into compelling stories
- Why you need to know your hourly rate (even if you don’t charge by the hour)
- How to estimate how much you’ll earn when working for royalties
- Why there’s no such thing as a lone creative genius
- Her process and philosophy for collaborating creatively with clients
- What it TRULY takes to write at the top level in direct response
- What to do when the client hates a piece that you think is great
- How to deal with tough coaches and copy chiefs
- What to do when you need to blow off steam and vent about a project or client
- Marcella’s secret weapon for pulling an all-nighter to get the job done
- How Marcella rekindles her creativity when she’s tired or feeling burned out
- How she uses co-mentoring to continually improve her writing, business skills, and overall life
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Marcella’s Website
- The (Not So Secret) Order Of The Titanides
- Why Didn’t Anybody Tell Me This Shit Before
- Carl Solway Gallery
- Abbey Woodcock’s Freelance Co-Op (formerly Business of Copy)
- Kevin Roger’s CopyChief
- Bo Eason
- Waterproof Shower Notes Pen and Pad
- Titans Mastermind with Brian Kurtz
- A Prayer for Owen Meany
- Anne Lamott
- Natalie Goldberg
- Writing Down The Bones
- Anthony Bourdain Kitchen Confidential
- Coming Clean: A Memoire
- Elizabeth Gilbert TED Talk: Your Elusive Creative Genius
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group