In This Episode:
This. Episode. Is. MEATY!
Laura Briggs is a two-time TEDx speaker, award winning author of How to Start Your Own Freelance Writing Business, and the founder of a nonprofit that teaches military spouses how to start a freelance business. She’s just released her second book, Six Figure Freelancer…
At least that’s what her “official” bio says. In truth, she’s much more than that. She’s an inspiring, no-nonsense author, entrepreneur, and project manager who creates needle-moving marketing assets for her clients, while helping hundreds of freelancers launch and grow their businesses.
She bounds effortlessly across industries – meeting the varied needs of her personal clients – while also helping military spouses find purpose (and a solid income source) by developing and promoting their own freelance skills.
Today we’re getting tactical as Laura shares actionable, step-by-step lessons for developing your skills, growing your freelance career, and scaling your business while maintaining your sanity.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links below.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify
- How Laura went from Middle-School Geography Teacher to professional writer and freelance coach
- Why Upwork donated $20,000 to help her launch her non-profit for freelancers
- Laura’s advice for writing in tough industries like Law
- The 2 things you MUST have to launch your freelance business (and what you should put off until later in your career)
- How to get started with freelancing, even if you have no clients and very little xperience
- Why Laura says you should pitch your ideas to agents even if you don’t have a book yet
- The biggest difference between pitching fiction and non-fiction work to publishers
- Why you shouldn’t rely on your publisher to market your book
- Laura’s step-by-step process for marketing her new books after they’re published
- How to write quickly so you can deliver great material fast
- Laura’s #1 tip for managing your time (and everything else) when you’re overloaded with work
- How to tell your clients that you need to scale back your work when you need a break
- Tactical tools and processes for managing multiple projects at the same time
- Laura’s advice for building your “legacy” business
- The biggest mistake new freelancers make when trying to launch their new business
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Laura’s Website
- Laura’s non-profit for military spouses at OperationFreelance.org
- Profit First by Mike Michalowicz
- 11/22/63 by Stephen King
- 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss
- The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks
- Author Ruth Ware
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group