In This Episode:
Justin Blackman is a master of voice. He also LOVES a challenge.
Last year, he wrote for 239 different people in different voices. The year before that he wrote 10,211 headlines for 100 different brands—just for fun! He did all this on top of creating content for an international hotel company with 12 distinct brand voices.
In addition to all this copywriting ventriloquism, Justin spent a decade speaking to thousands of consumers while marketing big name brands like 5-hour Energy, Red Bull, and Puma.
Now he uses all that experience to create ridiculously specific voice guides, and teaches others to do the same.
Join us for this diverse chat about writing voice, the muppets, and how not to be a crappy human being.
Listen to this episode here:
Or download the episode to your device by using the links below.
- Click Here To Download This Episode As An Mp3
- Listen on Stitcher Here
- Listen on iTunes Apple Podcasts Here
- Listen on Spotify
- What Justin learned managing big brands like Red Bull and Puma
- How he got his first freelance clients
- The real reason you need to check your ego when looking at other writer’s work
- Why getting people to laugh is the fastest way to get attention
- The Jim Henson Muppets secret to discovering someone’s voice
- How to become a brand ventriloquist and write in different voices
- The tangible “WTF” system for creating voice guides that clone your client
- What Justin learned writing over 10,000 headlines for 100 different brands
- The 3 measurable criteria you need to match someone’s writing voice
And plenty more along the way. Get the resources mentioned in this episode below.
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Justin’s Website PrettyFlyCopy.com
- Justin’s 10,000+ Headline swipe file
- Justin’s Twitter
- Voice Codex Persona Workshop
- Kevin Rogers
- 1000 Days of Awesome
- Ian Stanley Emails
- Brain FM
- Vitamin String Quartet
- Margo Aaron
- Tarzan Kay
- Jimmy Parent
- Joel Klettke
- Linda Perry
- The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life’s Perfection
- Roald Dahl
- Neil Gaiman
- Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
- Flip the Script: Getting People to Think Your Idea Is Their Idea
- Neil Gaiman Masterclass
Never miss an Episode!
Enter your details to get notified as soon as we release a new episode.
When you sign up now, you’ll also receive a FREE copy of Write, Reap, Repeat: The Official Guide To Marketing Yourself As A Writer
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Want To Chat With Us And Other Writers About What You Heard Today?
Join the discussion in our online mastermind group